[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music & Videos Questions

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Apr 14 03:46:48 UTC 2012

Scott & Nicole Harris <snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
>This is a standalone frontend, which I (and more importantly the wife)
>as nothing more than an appliance.  You turn appliances off when you're
>not
>using them, preferably with the remote that came with it...no different
>than
>a TV.  You don't need to be "special" to turn the TV off, you simply
>press
>the power button.  I'd think most people would expect to be able to
>"press
>the power button" (exit and reboot) from the appliance's on screen menu
>and
>have it do what ever it is it's supposed to do, properly.

This is one of the nice things about using minimyth. It runs on a readonly file system, with unionfs and tmpfs layered on top. Every night, I just turn it off at the power switch, without needing to shutdown, knowing that the underlying file system will be unaltered ready for a clean boot the next day.