[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu repos on Mint (was Re: No .25 option when reconfiguring repos)

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Apr 13 16:59:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 10:42 AM, John Veness wrote:
>>
>> Linux Min 10 is based on Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick) which will not be
>> receiving a packaged version of MythTV 0.25 from the Mythbuntu repos. See
>> http://www.mythbuntu.org/mythtv/0.25.
>

> FWIW, for any Mint users, I think the Mythbuntu team was interested in
> adding "automatic" repo support for Mint systems (something like
> http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos ), but the problem they keep running up
> against is lack of information on properly mapping Mint versions to Ubuntu
> versions.  If anyone is interested in helping out, this could be very useful
> for a lot of Mint users.
>
> Mike

This is semi-correct. There is a way to get the related Ubuntu
codename on a Mint system (IIRC I did it using lsb_release). The issue
stems from Mythbuntu-repos using Python and when it attempts to detect
the codename it gets the Mint codename. I wasn't able to track down
how to get the Ubuntu codename from the Mint install using Python,
which is what needs to be done. While it would be relatively easy to
add a mapping from the Mint codename to the Ubuntu codename (providing
that information is available somewhere), it would be far better to
not have to implement a hack like that when the information is
obviously already on the system somewhere.

Thomas