[mythtv-users] remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:55:59 UTC 2012

2012/4/10 Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
>
> I considered a wireless keyboard like this one:
>  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
>  It's just an example I'm open for other suggestions.
>  Did anybody get one that could be configured to wake up the frontend ?
>  That is the only thing that I can imagine as a con for this solution.
> Right now the wireless keyboard is the most viable option to me, cause
> I know a keyboard deals with the current problems
>  and as far as I can think the only drawback is that I have to flip
> the power switch on my frontend to get it started.
>
> Furthermore I found these 2 options:
> mythmote
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
> mythdroid
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/
>
> Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
> come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
> I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
> drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
> produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
> with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
> to share it
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Thanx for the response everybody,

I've been reading your opinions with great interest and have been
looking at the link that you send me.
After digging through the mentioned devices reviews about them and
nosing through the brands websites I found the following device from
loftek:

It seems they have a very interesting device namely the "Rii mini i6"
http://www.loftek.us/product_view.asp?Categoryid=43&id=202

Being a infrared remote and a wireless 2.4ghz keyboard with touchpad
in one makes it a very interesting choice to me.
Even though I do not look forward to the pains of creating a new
lircrc keyboard map, it does sound very promising.
It solves the problem of the missing keyboard and does not force me to
keep a second device next to me on the couch.
The need for just one remote was one of the big selling points that
convinced the misses to allow me to install mythtv as our main media
centre in the living room.
Like me she was also really getting annoyed by the ever growing pile of remotes.

It also does not seem to conflict with any of the arguments you have
come up with
It's not bulky, functions as a remote, includes a keyboard, has
tactile so you can use it without having to look where you need to put
your fingers.
And it's not to expensive.
It is supposed to be learning so it should be able to mimic the remote
power on ir-signal to turn on my frontend from the couch.
And it's also available in black which I prefer.

But since this device is not real expensive but also not cheap I
appreciate hearing from somebody who has some experience with it.

Does anybody have any real experience with this device if so please
share your experience.

Cheers
Rob