[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 9 17:26:00 UTC 2012

On 04/07/2012 10:30 PM, Erik Jensen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Paul Bender wrote:
>> On 4/7/2012 3:27 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>>> On 12-04-06 07:46 PM, Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
>>> ..
>>> That's trivial to do without LIRC, using a simple Desktop "shortcut"
>>> script
>>> assigned to whatever button is preferred.
>> Rather than running LIRC you run a Desktop to accomplish the same same
>> thing. Have you compared the difference in memory and CPU usage?
> If you do not run a desktop already, you can use a lightweight tool
> such as XBindKeys (http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html) to
> launch scripts in response to keypresses.

And, even if you don't run a Desktop Environment (GNOME/KDE/xfce/Unity),
you should be using a Window Manager--whether you're using LIRC or not.
And even the "minimal" lightweight Window Managers, like Fluxbox (about
1MB "incremental" RAM) or RatPoison (about 300kB "incremental" RAM),
have support for binding keys to actions/scripts/programs.  And if 300kB
or 1MB RAM is the difference between your system working or not, you
need a new system for MythTV.  :)

Mike