[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Sun Apr 8 02:30:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
> On 4/7/2012 3:27 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>>
>> On 12-04-06 07:46 PM, Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
>> ..
>>>
>>> If you don't need functions such as irexec or irxevent then you don't
>>> need to use LIRC anymore. I
>>> use irexec myself so I can shutdown myth from my remote.
>>

>> That's trivial to do without LIRC, using a simple Desktop "shortcut"
>> script
>> assigned to whatever button is preferred.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> Rather than running LIRC you run a Desktop to accomplish the same same
> thing. Have you compared the difference in memory and CPU usage?

If you do not run a desktop already, you can use a lightweight tool
such as XBindKeys (http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html) to
launch scripts in response to keypresses.

That being said, I actually still use LIRC with the devinput driver
because my particular remote/receiver combo produces about 2-4
keypress events per button press on the remote, which LIRC kindly
takes care of for me.