[mythtv-users] mythvidexport problems

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Thu Apr 5 16:50:12 UTC 2012

On Mar 27 21:39, Michael T. Dean (mtdean at thirdcontact.com) wrote:

> there's little reason with current MythTV not to
> put recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library.

That encouraged me to experiment with mythvidexport.py.
While it kind of works, I encountered a number of problems
(in order of importance to me):

* It apparently cannot handle recordings with non-ASCII
  characters in their title at all ("ERROR: ascii").
  Being in Finland, that's like half of all my recordings.

* Commercial detection data is lost (despite --skiplist option) -
  everything becomes "Not flagged" (and there seems to be no
  way of detecting commercials in Video Library).

* It occasionally loses metadata for no obvious reason,
  with status "ERROR:DBData() could not read from database".

* Screenshot is lost in the process, which makes browsing
  less convenient.

* It is cumbersome to use: You have to start the job,
  wait for it to complete, check the recording is OK
  in the Video library, then delete it from recordings.
  (Presumably this could be automated, IF it were
  reliable enough.)

Whether these are actual bugs or if I've done something
wrong, I'm not sure. Suggestions would be welcome.

- In case it matters, I'm running 0.24+fixes (Ubuntu 11.10 packages).

--
Tapani Tarvainen