[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings

blind_Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 06:27:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> > First up, is it really a disaster if you end up with two copies
> > of some things?  All you have to do is delete a file.  It would
> > be much more annoying if there was any other type of mistake.
>
> Its rather annoying.

Yes, but it would be more annoying if it did not record anything.
Consider if the program guide changed and it thought
that there were two shows with identical titles and subtitles
but that one was 1 minute long followed by the second that was
29 minutes long...  and then it recorded the 1 minute show
ignoring the 29 minute show.

> And most of the time, one of the files is cut
> short.  So you need to sort through each time before you watch
> something.

Do you have lead in and lead out times configured?  Hard lead
times change the length of the program and can cause scheduling
problems.  Soft lead times can be truncated when there are
consecutive recordings.

> Also, this seems to be a regression.  I never used to have this
> problem with older versions of mythtv.

It could be.  What has changed recently?  It could be that your
guide data is now getting updates (and triggering an old bug)
when it did not used to get updates.

> > Can you work out if the copies are coming from the same place
> > or different places?  If you have only one tuner then the
> > answer should be easy.
>
> I have 3 tuners assigned to one input.  The recordings are coming from
> different tuners.
>
> > Can you work out if there is anything "interesting" about your
> > program guide?  My first guess would be that your guide gets
> > updated data to reflect reality (which is a good thing, but
> > rather confusing).
>
> Dunno.  Any display of the program guide I look at looks perfect.  I
> haven't even noticed any duplicates ever listed in the upcoming
> recordings section.

Something to watch for is moving times.  eg  If what was an
8:00 to 8:30 program becomes an 8:00 to 8:29 program and then an
8:01 to 8:30 program.

> It just messes up at record time, and randomly fires up a second tuner
> when it has no business doing so.
>
> If someone gives me instructions, I can pull some rows out of the
> database the next time it happens, and post it so someone who knows it
> can look and see if the data is wrong in the DB or not.
>
> If the scheduler in myth can't figure out that it is already recording
> channel X on input Y.... and does the same thing twice... it sounds to
> me like the scheduler is broken.
>

> > What sort of rule(s) are you using to record the duplicates?
>
> Any time, channel X.

The rest is all beyond my limited expertise.  Maybe someone else
can help.