[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime and closed captioning

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Sep 27 03:39:27 UTC 2011

On 2:59 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jerry Rubinow<jerrymr at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I haven't seen this mentioned on the list, but do recordings from the Prime
>> come with closed captioning intact, unlike those from the HD-PVR?  It makes
>> sense that they would, but I wanted to check.  Can anyone definitively
>> answer this?
>> Thanks,
>> Jerry
>
> Hi Jerry,
>
> This actually has nothing to do with the tuner product - it's a result
> of the underlying capture technology.  Component video doesn't support
> sending closed captioning data, while products that just take in an
> MPEG transport stream (such as the HDHR Prime) will just pass the data
> through.
>
> So to answer your question, yes, the CC info will be preserved for the
> HDHR Prime.
>
> Devin

Umm, this might be nit-picky, but it's not entirely accurate to say that component video doesn't support sending closed captioning data. If it's progressive scan (e.g. 480p), Devin is correct. But if it's interlaced, (e.g. 480i), then CC data CAN be sent. That's why I'm not giving up my DVD player and it's component out and why I switch back & forth between 480p and 480i output, depending on whether a DVD has subtitles or CCs.

Regards,
Helen