[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime and closed captioning

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Sep 27 02:24:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen this mentioned on the list, but do recordings from the Prime
> come with closed captioning intact, unlike those from the HD-PVR?  It makes
> sense that they would, but I wanted to check.  Can anyone definitively
> answer this?
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Hi Jerry,

This actually has nothing to do with the tuner product - it's a result
of the underlying capture technology.  Component video doesn't support
sending closed captioning data, while products that just take in an
MPEG transport stream (such as the HDHR Prime) will just pass the data
through.

So to answer your question, yes, the CC info will be preserved for the
HDHR Prime.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs