[mythtv-users] raid array spin down possible?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Sep 26 23:40:38 UTC 2011

On 9/26/2011 18:38, Neil Cooper wrote:

> [...]

No, it won't.  Considering all the drives are part of a single array,
used to store media content, you can expect them all to be spun up for
several hours at a time as you are watching movies and other content.
At a bare minimum, your thermal design should be capable of handling
those drives long enough to handle 2-3 movies.  As mentioned, reduced
power consumption from spinning down drives is nice, but is a completely
independent issue from your thermal problems.

Make sure your array is mounted with 'noatime', so Linux is not trying
to update metadata for those files.  Check if smartd is polling those
drives and disable it.