[mythtv-users] raid array spin down possible?

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 22:38:49 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 9/26/11, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> From: Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] raid array spin down possible?
> To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Monday, September 26, 2011, 11:40 AM
> On 9/26/2011 14:31, Neil Cooper
> wrote:
> > My backend has a single 1TB HDD (for booting/OS and
> recorded TV shows) and also 3 HDDs in a raid array for saved
> shows, other media and general NAS. The array is a Linux
> "software" type (i.e. mdadm --create) raid 5. All drives are
> SATA. It's running "standard" Ubuntu 64 11.04 (not
> mythbuntu).
> >
> > Both because the raid array is hardly ever in use and
> because the box gets very hot with all drives running, I
> would like to spin down (just) the raid array whenever
> possible.
>
> A 7200RPM drive is going to use about 8W each, spun
> up.  While spinning
> them down to save that 24W is a nice idea, if that little
> bit of
> consumption causes you thermal problems, you really have
> more important
> issues to deal with than saving a bit of electricity.
> Are you even
> running a fan in that case?

Regardless of your calculations, the drives are together generating significant heat.

The case does have a fan, although clearly the case designer didn't consider drive area venting a priority. I also live in Phoenix which means the ambient temperature in my house is often hotter than that which equipment makers generally seem to plan for.

I really would appreciate some tips on my actual question of how to get my drives to spin-down, as I'm sure getting it working would make a real and practical difference to my heat issue.