[mythtv-users] Forcing the backend to acpi suspend with a frontend connected

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Sun Sep 25 20:30:59 UTC 2011

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 04:01:31PM +1000, Michael Watson wrote:
>> On my Frontends, I run XScreensaver and a script via cron that waits for
>> the screensaver to be active for X minutes, then shutsdown the machine,
>> (or if it is a FE/SBE closes mythfrontend and allows mythwelcome to
>> shutdown the machine when the backend is idle).

Would you mind sharing it with us? I'm looking for such a working solution.

ATM I have a script assigned to a key on my remote, which kills the
frontend after one hour. An idle timer in MythTV, which kills it after
xx minutes of inactivity, would be a better solution. The current sleep
timer I find a bit useless, as it only returns to the main menu. It
would do it anyway after watching a recording. This way mythwelcome will
not shut down the BE/FE.

> Thanks for sharing, so basically you're doing #1, and using xscreensaver to
> decide if mythfrontend is active or not instead of some dirty lsof/strace
> trick.
> It's obviously not my favourite because I have to kill mythfrontend which
> could be paused in a middle of a show, and therefore when I resume, I lose
> where I used to be, but it's better than nothing.

Doesn't the frontend poke the screensaver every 50 seconds while it's
playing something to prevent it from getting activated? This is what I
read somewhere.