[mythtv-users] Forcing the backend to acpi suspend with a frontend connected

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Sep 25 17:55:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 04:01:31PM +1000, Michael Watson wrote:
> > 1) use strace/lsof to monitor mythfrontend and kill mythfrontend from an
> > outside shell script if it meets my definition of idle, which in turn
> > will allow mythtv-backend to timeout and trigger ACPI sleep
>
> On my Frontends, I run XScreensaver and a script via cron that waits for
> the screensaver to be active for X minutes, then shutsdown the machine,
> (or if it is a FE/SBE closes mythfrontend and allows mythwelcome to
> shutdown the machine when the backend is idle).
>      I have a 5 Min Delay on xscreensaver, then my script waits for the
> xscreensaver to be active for 15 minutes.  So after 20 Minutes of idle,
> the FE shutdowns automatically.

Thanks for sharing, so basically you're doing #1, and using xscreensaver to
decide if mythfrontend is active or not instead of some dirty lsof/strace
trick.
It's obviously not my favourite because I have to kill mythfrontend which
could be paused in a middle of a show, and therefore when I resume, I lose
where I used to be, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/