[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24.1, Ubuntu 11.04 and MHEG on Freeview UK

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 17:45:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 18:29 +0100, Paul wrote:
> >The log shows that a MHEG program was received and ran OK.  However, the
> >timestamps indicate that the system is either heavily loaded or very
> >underpowered.  The time to process the MHEG program is over 6 minutes!
> >This should normally be a few seconds.  There's a problem with video
> >buffer underruns also indicating a very slow machine.  I'm guessing that
> >the MHEG program drew the red button logo and then removed it before it
> >ever got displayed.
>
> >Before going any further I think that you need to sort out the
> >performance of the system.
>
> I'm running an Atom 330 with an NVidia ION and 4 gigabytes of RAM on a
> combined fe/be - max CPU on Live TV is 37% and max mem for mythfrontend is
> 4.1% mythbackend uses 10% of CPU and 2.0% of RAM  (according to top)- and
> fe/be are the largest consumers of resources on the system.
>
> I use the VDPAU Normal setting for playback as well.
>
> I can watch a recording / live tv, be recording and run a mythfilldatabase
> without any performance hits at all; I've even been watching a recording and
> compiling at the same time without even noticing.

Well if the system is behaving OK then there must be something wrong
with the myth timestamps or the system clock.  It shouldn't take 6
minutes to run the MHEG boot application.

> I have also noticed when I do a retune I don't pick up the MHEG only
> channels Vision, Connect and Stream even though my TV with Freeview built in
> does.

You should scan all channels to include STREAM-0 et al which are seen as
data only.  NB the iplayer patch also includes fixes to view BBC sport
and other interactive streams which are transmitted on these channels.

--
Lawrence