[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24.1, Ubuntu 11.04 and MHEG on Freeview UK

Paul dazzle at edazzle.net
Fri Sep 23 17:29:40 UTC 2011

>The log shows that a MHEG program was received and ran OK.  However, the
>timestamps indicate that the system is either heavily loaded or very
>underpowered.  The time to process the MHEG program is over 6 minutes!
>This should normally be a few seconds.  There's a problem with video
>buffer underruns also indicating a very slow machine.  I'm guessing that
>the MHEG program drew the red button logo and then removed it before it
>ever got displayed.

>Before going any further I think that you need to sort out the
>performance of the system.

I'm running an Atom 330 with an NVidia ION and 4 gigabytes of RAM on a
combined fe/be - max CPU on Live TV is 37% and max mem for mythfrontend is
4.1% mythbackend uses 10% of CPU and 2.0% of RAM  (according to top)- and
fe/be are the largest consumers of resources on the system.

I use the VDPAU Normal setting for playback as well.

I can watch a recording / live tv, be recording and run a mythfilldatabase
without any performance hits at all; I've even been watching a recording and
compiling at the same time without even noticing.

I have also noticed when I do a retune I don't pick up the MHEG only
channels Vision, Connect and Stream even though my TV with Freeview built in
does.

Paul