[mythtv-users] Recording issues with I/O load

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 10:19:23 UTC 2011

Stefan Lands wrote:

>This lead me to the decision to take a quite radical step and kill the
>raid5-array. Instead of this I build a simple group of these disks via
>LVM as one big virtual disk.

Just a heads up that this isn't the best way to use disks for Myth recordings.

Myth will quite happily use multiple directories - so you can let it
put recordings on 3 disks. Done this way, if you lose a disk, then
you only lose the recordings that are on that one disk.

If you make a large volume group with LVM, then you have no
redundancy and the loss of any single drive will mean the loss of
everything in the VG.

--
Simon Hobson