[mythtv-users] Question on scheduling

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 03:42:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Aaron Klein <klein.aaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the past I always selected the channel I wanted a show to record on and
> picked the "Record at any time on channel XYZ"  This was before I had the
> ability to record digital versions of the shows.  Now that I have both
> analog and digital tuners I would prefer the digital version if possible but
> do not want to have a conflict should there be no avaialble digital tuner
> for a given show so I tried the rule "Record at any time on any channel."
> This seems to work ok for shows that are a day or two out in the listings
> but for shows far out in the listings I get many conflicts because it seems
> to want to record any and all airings of the show.  So if I have three ABC's
> with two being digital and one being analog the upcoming recordings show all
> three to be recorded and thus two conflicts.
>
> Maybe I am overly anal about conflicts appearing but I was wondering is
> there any way to have it select a channel to record a show on and at the
> same time not end up trying to record two versions of the show at the same
> time.  The reason is we often will want to record many different shows that
> air at the same time slot and I dont want to have one be missed because
> another show got recorded twice.  I feel the anytime on any channel opens up
> the ability to have the system possibly record two shows on a single
> multiplexed channel that if I specified a channel in a the ruleset that it
> would then not be able to record.

I find that the guide data for more than ~7 days away is often
incomplete, using generic episode information as a placeholder. An
"any" rule will match generic episodes since there's nothing to go off
of for duplicate matching. It's almost always corrected by the time
the actual day rolls around. For this reason I only look at what's
upcoming in the next 3 days and ignore anything beyond that since it's
likely to change.

It should be noted that I use the --dd-grab-all argument so that all
my guide data is refreshed on every run of mythfilldatabase.

--
Justin