[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on network share

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:43:24 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 10:17, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting.  One server is very tantalizing.
> Would it help to have 2 Ethernet cards ?

I don't think so ;)  I'm sure you will get a more technical answer,
but anecdotally I was previously* able to record two HD streams (from
my network based  tuner) and play them both on separate front ends all
simultaneously.  This was on my old 10/100 LAN, so don't think you'll
need 2GbE cards.

> Does it help if the NAS drives are handled by a separate card ?

Well it all depends on how much load, but really for the average home
user, that would be overkill.

> Just to give you an idea of the NAS requirements, I have a high end digital
> camera and thus have directories with hundreds of 20 MB files in them.
> When I fire up Digikam, it sometimes wants to load a directory all at once.

Same same, and  i'll think you will find the bulk image loading
latency is when Digikam is creating your thumbnails.  For any given
folder, this should only happen once, because Digikam stores all
thumbnails in a database so that subsequent rendering happens
instantly.  I did however upgrade to GbE so that the initial thumbnail
creation was faster, and of course loading full images is faster too.

--
Kind regards, Jules

The CLI is everywhere. It's all around us, even in this very room. You
can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your
television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to work,
when you pay your taxes. The GUI is the world that has been pulled
over your eyes to blind you from the truth.