[mythtv-users] Mythpreviewgen

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:24:07 UTC 2011

2011/9/20 Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>:

>>> mythpreviewgen (and possibly some other "start/end of recordings"
>>> activities) are definitely the cause of the "short playback pauses at
>>> program transition".  It's possible mythpreviewgen could cause similar
>>> pauses at other times if something kicks it off (like someone
>>> setting/clearing a bookmark on a recording on another frontend while
>>> you're watching a recording on yours).
>>>
>>> Doesn't look like there's any code in mythpreviewgen to set a nice
>>> value.  You could stick a myth_nice(17); somewhere in there and see if
>>> it helps.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Thanks Mike, sorry but I don't know where to add the "myth_nice(17);".
>>
>> Is possible to disable this function? I never try it, but there is a
>> cpulimit software to limit the CPU usage of a process, could be a good
>> option?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>
>> I want to try
>>
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano
>>

> Hello again, I am reading about nice() and ionice(). It looks like
> they are for scheduled the CPU utilization, but I have no idea where
> to configure it.
>
> I read that -20 is the highest priority and 20 is the lowest priority,
> so it will be good idea to assign 17 to mythpreviewgen as Mike
> recomend.
>
> Please, can you help for this configuration? Where I must configure it?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Hello again, I notice that mythpreviewgen is executed on program
change and on channel change in LiveTV, it taken more than 50% of CPU
usage and it generate lots of playback stops.

I read about the nice(), but it must be executed as root thi way: nice
-n 17 /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen

But I don't know where to put this code. Need I to change the source
code and compile it? I never compile MythTT, I just use the
debian-multimedia repository. I think this will be the cause of all my
playback problems, I will appreciate any help.

Thanks and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano