[mythtv-users] Mythpreviewgen

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 15:51:46 UTC 2011

2011/9/20 Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/20 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>> On 09/19/2011 04:56 PM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>>> Hello to all, I write lots of post this last few days, I am trying to
>>> get a stable system, I am getting lots of playback pauses from time. I
>>> have two Nvidia ION boards with same problems, I started all these
>>> post trying to fix my problem:
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv;do=search_results;search_forum=forum_1;search_string=josu%20lazkano;search_type=AND&sb=post_time
>>>
>>> I am watching LiveTV with a "htop" terminal and I just hunt a process
>>> with high CPU on the playback stops, is the /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen.
>>> It is correlated with the stops, it happens 3 more time.
>>>
>>> I got a screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/mythpreviewgen.png
>>>
>>> There are 2 mythpreviewgen process with 27% and 17% CPU usage. Could
>>> it be this the cause of my playback stops? I read the wiki page about
>>> the Mythpreviewgen (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythpreviewgen), but
>>> there is no much info about it.
>>>
>>> Could I limit the CPU usage for this process? I would appreciate any
>>> help, I hope this will fix all my problems.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all help, best regards.
>>>

>> mythpreviewgen (and possibly some other "start/end of recordings"
>> activities) are definitely the cause of the "short playback pauses at
>> program transition".  It's possible mythpreviewgen could cause similar
>> pauses at other times if something kicks it off (like someone
>> setting/clearing a bookmark on a recording on another frontend while
>> you're watching a recording on yours).
>>
>> Doesn't look like there's any code in mythpreviewgen to set a nice
>> value.  You could stick a myth_nice(17); somewhere in there and see if
>> it helps.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Thanks Mike, sorry but I don't know where to add the "myth_nice(17);".
>
> Is possible to disable this function? I never try it, but there is a
> cpulimit software to limit the CPU usage of a process, could be a good
> option?
>
> Thanks and best regards.
>
> I want to try
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Hello again, I am reading about nice() and ionice(). It looks like
they are for scheduled the CPU utilization, but I have no idea where
to configure it.

I read that -20 is the highest priority and 20 is the lowest priority,
so it will be good idea to assign 17 to mythpreviewgen as Mike
recomend.

Please, can you help for this configuration? Where I must configure it?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards.

--
Josu Lazkano