[mythtv-users] How much network traffic would 3 HDHR Prime streams take up?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 01:28:55 UTC 2011

I'm just wondering if I should segment my network at all - I'm running
Gigabit Ethernet over Cat5E, albeit with some fairly cheap switches that
probably don't support jumbo frames. I'm going to move all of my recording
groups to a central NFS share in the (hopefully) near future. I was just
curious as to how much network bandwidth 3 1080i recordings from an HDHR
Prime at the same time would generate, and if I should set up a storage VLAN
to minimize impact. My home network has I don't know, 20 or so devices with
IP addresses at any given time, some of which are VMs on an ESXi box. I also
have streaming aggregators like PlayOn, OrbCaster, Plex Media Server and who
knows what else all over the place, so my network is probably fairly chatty.

Thanks,
Matt