[mythtv-users] Line-up and different capture cards

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:06:07 UTC 2011

On 19 September 2011 11:35, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This is probably a question asked over and over, but even after reading
> the how-to's and mailinglist I can't force myth to do it the way I like.
>
> I receive Analog and DVB-C un-encrypted, exactly the sam channels analog
> and digital, I use DVB-T as a backup.
> I got the following capture-options: PVR-500, a DVB-T-stick which has
> only a subset of channels, a Cablestar HD2(DVB-C) and a (dualtuner)
> HDHomerun HDHR3-EU(DVB-C).
> I get listings from tv-gids_nl replacement and also use EIT from DVB-T
> and DVB-C to augment.
> I would like mythtv to primarly capture on the HDHomerun and the
> Cablestar and only of it can't switch to the PVR-500, also I would like
> myth to default to one of the DVB-C tuners for watching live TV.
>
> I got the cards setup like this:
> Tuner 1-4: DVB-T stick
> tuner 5-6: PVR500
> Tuner 7: Cablestar HD2
> Tuner 9-10: HDHR tuner 1(I reduced simultaneous recordings on the
> cablestar from 2 to 1)
> Tuner 11-12:  HDHR tuner2
>
> I set up 3 line-ups for my cablebased tuners: tvgids from xmltv, EIT
> from cablestar and EIT from HDHR3, I matched the callsigns and names of
> the channels so myth knows it's the same channels. In mythtv-setup I
> connected every card to it's respective line-up and with the exeption of
> analog via PVR500 I scanned for channels in the connections-setup menu
> to make myth aware where to find the channels.
> I gave the HDHR-tuners priority of 14, the cablestar 10 and the PVR500
> tuners a priority of -10.
>
> The problems I face are the following:
> 1) Myth likes the PVR500 so much it lets them record everything I plan,
> even though I'd like it to record digital.
> 2) Myth cannot tune the Cablestar after I scan channels on the HDHR or
> vice versa.
>
> I can imagine I missed a little detail that causes myth to behave this
> way, but I cannot seem to find it even after wiping al the data for
> capturecards and videosources and setting it up fresh. I also setup only
> the tvgids xmltv as only source and then scan DVB-C but that would cause
> double channels as well.
>
> I'm a bit stuck and hope anyone can point me in the right direction

How are you running mythfilldatabase for your xmltv listing?  If
you're running it outside of mythbackend then I believe you need to
specifiy the sourceid that you want it to poplulate.

For example, I have two different DVB-T cards with different channel
lineups (and hence different sources).  MythTV wouldn't use one of the
cards until I realised I had to run mythfilldatabase twice, once for
each source.

eg something like:

/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabase --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile ~/freeview.xmltv
/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabase --file --sourceid 2 --xmlfile ~/freeview.xmltv

...although there may well be a better way of doing this within the
backend configuration.