[mythtv-users] Playback problem with VDPAU

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 18 12:40:31 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 07:15 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> 2011/9/18 Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>> On 09/17/2011 09:07 PM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>>> Hello again and sorry this post, I forget to put it on the last post.
>>>
>>> I notice that some problems is with vdpau and deinterlacing, this is
>>> the command:
>>>
>>> tail -f mythfrontend.log | grep Failed -C 15

>>> 2011-09-18 03:03:53.783 VDP: GetFilteredDeint() : vdpau ->    'none'
>>> Must I configure the playback profile deeper?
>> You really do want to enable some deinterlacer for when you play back
>> interlaced content.  If you're having performance issues, try one of
>> lower-resource vdpau ones (like not advanced)...  I'm not sure which
>> ones are lowest resource, but you could try a few of them.
>>
>> Mike
>>
> Thanks Mike, I have different options on Primary and Fallback deinterlacer:
>
> None
> One Field (1x, HW)
> Bob (2x, HW)
> Temporal (1x,HW)
> Advanced (1x, HW)
> Temporal (2x,HW)
> Advanced (2x,HW)

Those seem to be in approximately the order of resource
requirements--where One Field is not very resource intensive compared
to, say, Advanced or Temporal.

> I am trying some of them, but I really don't know which to use. I am
> reading on the wiki
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Disabling_the_Composite_Extension)
> people use some to SD and other to HD. How could I select the
> resolution on the VDPAU Slim?

At this point--while trying to figure out what works--you should really
have a simple, custom profile group with a single playback profile
that's used for all playback (i.e. don't change the example profile
groups, but create your own--see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Playback_profiles for more information,
including how to restore the examples to their default settings if
you've already changed them).  That way, you always know what profile is
in use, and you can tell if it works or not on any video you test, and
you don't have to try to figure out which profile in the group failed to
work.  Find one that works on all your videos (of all resolutions), and
then you can play with creating other profiles that are more
resource-intensive but that still work on lower-resolution videos.
(Note, though, that resolution isn't really a good indicator of resource
requirements for those who have mixed video CODECs or very-different
bitrates of same-CODEC videos.  So, you may just want to find the
profile settings that work on all videos and use it on all videos.)

Mike