[mythtv-users] Play from DVD drive in remote machine

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sun Sep 18 04:01:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Erik Jensen
<eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com> wrote:
> I am currently driving my projector from an ION system in a rather
> inaccessible location. I would like to be able to pop a DVD into the
> drive of another computer and play it on the front end with minimal
> fuss. The closest I have gotten is using NBD (network block device),
> but playing a DVD is still rather complicated (insert dvd, play dvd
> locally with mplayer to unlock the drive, connect NBD, play DVD,
> disconnect NBD, eject dvd). What would be ideal would be a way to
> forward raw ATA commands over the network, allowing the front end to
> unlock the drive, eject the disc, etc. Does anyone know of a utility
> that would allow me to accomplish this?

I think setting up the DVD drive as an iSCSI target would allow this,
but I've never managed to get an iSCSI server working on Linux to find
out.

http://www.howtoforge.com/using-iscsi-on-ubuntu-9.04-initiator-and-target
might give you some tips to get started.

- Chris