[mythtv-users] MythTV and Hauppage HVR-950Q

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 16 05:16:31 UTC 2011

<fixed attribution, that was broken by some atrocious HTML formatting in
one of the old messages>

On 09/15/2011 11:08 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 09/15/11 22:57, jedi wrote:

>>> Then you have managed to try almost every option but the one that
>>> actually matters.  All of those input types are for analog devices.
>>> You have a digital tuner.  Hence, you use the "DVB DTV capture card
>> Based on the fact that this is the name of the European standard,
>> this would be the absolute LAST thing I would try for an American
>> broadcast card.
> Perhaps, but then the device nodes for the card showed up in /dev/dvb too...

After all, DVB in this instance is the name of the Linux API used to
access the card, not the TV standard--just like V4L is the name of the
Linux API used to access an "Analog V4L capture card".  :)

And, as a point of interest that no user is likely to know--let alone
intuit from "the other answers on screen," this is also why it's "DVB
DTV capture card (v3.x)"--because the Linux DVB API is at version 3.x.
The DVB TV standard, however, is just coming up on the 2nd generation
(DVB-S2, DVB-T2, DVB-C2).  That said, not only do the 1st gen standards
use versions such as "ETSI EN 300 744 V1.6.1 (2009-01), Digital Video
Broadcasting (DVB);Framing structure, channel coding and modulation for
digital terrestrial television" and "ETSI TS 101 154 V1.10.1 (2011-06),
Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB);Specification for the use of Video and
Audio Coding in Broadcasting Applications based on the MPEG-2 Transport
Stream" (i.e. 1.x versions), but also the 2nd-gen DVB uses versions such
as "ETSI EN 302 755 V1.2.1 (2011-02), Digital Video Broadcasting
(DVB);Frame structure channel coding and modulation for a second
generation digital terrestrial television broadcasting system (DVB-T2)"
and "ETSI TS 102 831 V1.1.1 (2010-10), Digital Video Broadcasting
(DVB);Implementation guidelines for a second generation digital
terrestrial television broadcasting system (DVB-T2)", and such (also 1.x
versions).

Mike