[mythtv-users] UK DVB-T (Freeview) audio/video stutter AFTER projectx processing

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Sep 15 11:06:46 UTC 2011

Blaine Price wrote:
> I last used MythTV about a year ago but recently put in a new system
> from the latest Mythbuntu distribution recording from the same DVB-T
> card that I used last time.  I now find that almost all recordings are
> unwatchable on the myth frontend player due to the audio and video
> stuttering. I did some research and it looks like the myth frontend
> player is not coping with the transmission errors on the MPEG2 TS
> stream. If I play the same file from VLC on the same machine it works
> fine (although sometimes the audio gets out of sync with the video).
>
> After reading through the archives I found that ProjectX seems to do a
> nice job of separating the audio and video streams and cleaning up the
> errors so I ran the mythcutprojectx.sh script which seemed (from the
> console output) to do the job and it reduced the file size by about 25%
> but the stuttering continues on the resulting file when played on a
> mythfrontend. VLC continues to play the file without problems.
>
> Has anyone else fixed this problem with UK DVB-T transmissions?  I'm
> assuming it isn't my PCI card because VLC plays the file fine, it's just
> mythfrontend not being able to cope with the flakey file, right?

Are the BE and the FE on the same PC? If not, do you mount the
recordings folder via NFS on the FE? If yes, remove the NFS mounts and
let the BE stream the recordings. I had this problem when I upgraded
from 0.23 to 0.24 and left the mounts in place.

Otherwise you need to tell us more about your configuration. I'm from
the UK too and don't have these problems here.

Maybe you could try a different playback profile (Slim or CPU-- or if
you have a nvidea card VDPAU).

HTH
Thomas