[mythtv-users] UK DVB-T (Freeview) audio/video stutter AFTER projectx processing

Blaine Price blaine at price-home.com
Thu Sep 15 10:19:20 UTC 2011

I last used MythTV about a year ago but recently put in a new system
from the latest Mythbuntu distribution recording from the same DVB-T
card that I used last time.  I now find that almost all recordings are
unwatchable on the myth frontend player due to the audio and video
stuttering. I did some research and it looks like the myth frontend
player is not coping with the transmission errors on the MPEG2 TS
stream. If I play the same file from VLC on the same machine it works
fine (although sometimes the audio gets out of sync with the video).

After reading through the archives I found that ProjectX seems to do a
nice job of separating the audio and video streams and cleaning up the
errors so I ran the mythcutprojectx.sh script which seemed (from the
console output) to do the job and it reduced the file size by about 25%
but the stuttering continues on the resulting file when played on a
mythfrontend. VLC continues to play the file without problems.

Has anyone else fixed this problem with UK DVB-T transmissions?  I'm
assuming it isn't my PCI card because VLC plays the file fine, it's just
mythfrontend not being able to cope with the flakey file, right?