[mythtv-users] MythTV dependencies and Ron's Ceton patch

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:19:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:
>> > Ron, thanks for your help.  For the benefit of everyone else, the
>> problem turned out to be really simple: disk space - I didn't have much
>> left.  Cleared out some old recordings and the Ceton tuning problem went
>> away.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure why this would impact the Ceton and not my HDHR tuners but
>> it doesn't really matter - the disk shouldn't be full, anyway.
>>
>> Well, at least part of it is probably something to do with the way I
>> do the tuning. In trying to work around some issues which I thought
>> were the fault of my code (and now appears to have been a hardware
>> issue), I modified my tuning code to be a bit more robust, but it was
>> at the expense of some additional (though quite small) delays. I think
>> what is happening is that when your system is under heavy I/O load,
>> it's magnifying these small delays. I've got some ideas for how to
>> improve some of this, but some of it seems to be out of my hands (in
>> the logs you sent me earlier, I can see some sizable delays before my
>> code even begins executing). Cumulatively, the delays are probably
>> just enough to push it to the point where livetv gives up.
>>
>> One thing that may help is to turn on the slow delete option (whatever
>> it's called). I think a big reason for the delays is that things slow
>> down considerably when the system is trying to delete a multi-gigabyte
>> file. The slow delete option is supposed to make this much less
>> noticeable (I think it gradually shrinks the file a little at a time
>> until it's finally down to zero, rather than just deleting it
>> outright). Also, I'm not sure if it would make much difference, but I
>> also set myth so that it keeps about 20GB of disk space free.
>>
>> --
>> Ron Frazier
>>

> Hello Ron and All,
>
> Ron, thank you for all of your work on your Ceton patch.
>
> I reverted back to a fresh install of Mythbuntu 11.04 and applied your
> patch.  Everything is working well except live TV.  I don't think it is your
> patch's fault.  It has been suggested that my problem was fixed in more
> recent .24-fixes.  This brings me back to trying to get you patch applied to
> the latest Mythbuntu source.  The repos that Mythbuntu uses to get
> up-to-date .24-fixes builds are:
>
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu natty main
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu natty main
>
> I have found source code that seems correspond to my up-to-date frontend:
>
> MythTV Version   : v0.24.1-80-g1de0431
> MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
> Network Protocol : 63
> Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
> QT Version       : 4.7.2
>

> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mythtv/mythtv_0.24.1+fixes.20110831.1de0431.orig.tar.gz

> [...]

I figured out how to get the the latest Mythbuntu .24-fixes source.  I
needed to add "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu natty
main" to /etc/apt/sources.list or add it as a source repo using the package
manager.  I wanted to post this for others.

I am at a point where this thread is no longer relevant.  I will continue
with a more more appropriate thread.

-Tom