[mythtv-users] MythTV dependencies and Ron's Ceton patch

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:46:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:
> > Ron, thanks for your help.  For the benefit of everyone else, the problem
> turned out to be really simple: disk space - I didn't have much left.
>  Cleared out some old recordings and the Ceton tuning problem went away.
> >
> > I'm not sure why this would impact the Ceton and not my HDHR tuners but
> it doesn't really matter - the disk shouldn't be full, anyway.
>
> Well, at least part of it is probably something to do with the way I
> do the tuning. In trying to work around some issues which I thought
> were the fault of my code (and now appears to have been a hardware
> issue), I modified my tuning code to be a bit more robust, but it was
> at the expense of some additional (though quite small) delays. I think
> what is happening is that when your system is under heavy I/O load,
> it's magnifying these small delays. I've got some ideas for how to
> improve some of this, but some of it seems to be out of my hands (in
> the logs you sent me earlier, I can see some sizable delays before my
> code even begins executing). Cumulatively, the delays are probably
> just enough to push it to the point where livetv gives up.
>
> One thing that may help is to turn on the slow delete option (whatever
> it's called). I think a big reason for the delays is that things slow
> down considerably when the system is trying to delete a multi-gigabyte
> file. The slow delete option is supposed to make this much less
> noticeable (I think it gradually shrinks the file a little at a time
> until it's finally down to zero, rather than just deleting it
> outright). Also, I'm not sure if it would make much difference, but I
> also set myth so that it keeps about 20GB of disk space free.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

Hello Ron and All,

Ron, thank you for all of your work on your Ceton patch.

I reverted back to a fresh install of Mythbuntu 11.04 and applied your
patch.  Everything is working well except live TV.  I don't think it is your
patch's fault.  It has been suggested that my problem was fixed in more
recent .24-fixes.  This brings me back to trying to get you patch applied to
the latest Mythbuntu source.  The repos that Mythbuntu uses to get
up-to-date .24-fixes builds are:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu natty main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu natty main

I have found source code that seems correspond to my up-to-date frontend:

MythTV Version   : v0.24.1-80-g1de0431
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
QT Version       : 4.7.2

http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mythtv/mythtv_0.24.1+fixes.20110831.1de0431.orig.tar.gz

I am not sure why the package manager knows how to pull up-to-date .24-fixes
binaries from these repos, but not source.  I would expect the commands in
your tutorial to pull from this location as well, but they do not.  Do I
need to add or modify repos in the package manager?  Any ideas?

-Tom