[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Frans Grotepass grotepass at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:27:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:51:11 +0100
Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 September 2011 13:20, Frans Grotepass <grotepass at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:48:54 +0100
> > Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm compiling myth from source, currently it is using the VA-API
> >> stuff for playback, but it sounds like I might need opengl support
> >> compiled
> >
> > If you say: "build from source" do you mean a full build from
> > source or a slackware/gentoo style build from source?
> >
> Full build from source. :)
>
> Full procedure:
>
> Install minimal deb 6 in a VM
> Update initrd to boot from NFS, regen initramfs
> Copy whole lot to NFS server and setup for netbooting
> Netboot it.
> Build/install git
> download myth from git
>

> configure
> install missing deps
> configure
> install missing deps
> configure
> install missing deps
> ...[until it builds]
> start mythfrontend.

:)

> >> in too.is that the 'radeon' driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
> >> I shall have a look at this later on... ta. :)
> >
> > Yup, radeon is correct. I don't have anything set in xorg.conf.
> > Using the latest x11 that does auto detection.
>
> I'll have another play later. I don't get autodetection working,
> unless I netboot it in a VM, I suspect this is due to fglrx (or
> whatever it's called) being loaded, I'll nix that and try again later
> on.

fglrx and other drivers(radeonhd/radeon/ati blabla) will cause problems
for sure.

I'm not using VA-API for my setup. All runs smoothly acceptable
cpu load on an Athlon 610e running 1080p

There are a number of wiki pages on using the xf86-video-ati drivers.
It requires some tweaking of your kernel settings if you rolled your
own. It also requires the radeon-ucode firmware. Usually I found that a
restart was required to get the fglrx out of the kernel usage. Once the
fglrx is loaded, even after an rmmod, loading radeon will still cause
havoc.

Some examples of guides that might come in handy when trying to get the
xf86-video-ati drivers running:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI.
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?28321-How-to-use-xf86-video-ati-with-HD6850-(with-KMS)