[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 2 16:27:35 UTC 2011

On 09/01/2011 11:25 PM, Brendan Pike wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my existing Mac-Mini, although its intel based it
> struggles if I play true 1080p content through it.  So I would like to
> know people's opinions regarding what makes the best front-end now
> days.  I see Boxee has a reasonable looking app. for Myth too.
>
> I could build my own shoe-box PC, upgrade to a faster mac-mini, go boxee
> what other options are there that provide best bang for buck?

Without going into details on how important I feel it is to have a CPU
that can actually process and to have an NVIDIA graphics card with VDPAU
support, I'll just link to:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware

which probably provides enough information about the considerations to
allow you to decide that maybe Atom isn't a good idea and that NVIDIA
graphics card (which can be used with NVIDIA drivers) is.  :(

Mike