[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Sep 1 09:03:44 UTC 2011

linux guy wrote:

I need a bunch of IR receivers for my front end boxes.  What is everyone using ?

Thanks !

I have three of these:
http://www.powerdrive-computers.com/remotes/speedlink-media-remote-multimedia-pc-control-sl6399sbk-1411.htm

They work great because I can point the remote more or less anywhere in the room.
The layout and quality of the remote is also quite good. The arrow keys is a raised ring round the OK button so navigation and selection can easily be done without looking at the remote.

It was however quite tricky to set up because many of the buttons generate sequences of keystrokes, like e.g. ALT-META-ENTER.
After much searching on the net I found that using lirc devinput I could catch this sequence in lircrc like this:
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 'KEY_LEFTALT'
    button = 'KEY_LEFTMETA'
    button = 'KEY_ENTER'
    repeat = 0
    config = M
    flags = quit
end

It also has a mouse mode, and in order to be able to use all the buttons two instances of lirc must be started like this:
  lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-HOLTEK_PC_receiver-event-kbd --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --listen=9988;
  lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-HOLTEK_PC_receiver-event-mouse --pidfile=/var/run/lirc2.pid --connect=localhost:9988;

Jens