[mythtv-users] First Impressions: Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

James virtue at rocketmonkeys.com
Thu Sep 1 04:33:56 UTC 2011

Just an update - I received my cablecard the other day.  I was on the phone
with Verizon for hours then and yesterday trying to get the thing activated.
 In the end, a helpful cablecard tech finally checked my zip code.  They put
the wrong zip code on my order (which technically matches the area, but is
not the same my real or billing zip code which they've been telling me).
 Once that was figured out, the tech had the card manually activated
(required a lot of clicks, each of which took 2-5 minutes to complete).
 Finally he removed the card from my account, then re-added it, and it
activated.

I'm assuming activation is identical to an HDHomerun prime - my new adapter
IP is 192.168.179.234, so the 2650's IP is really 192.168.179.233.  Visiting
that IP in the browser shows a status page, and I could see that the card
was authenticated & receiving signal, but not activated.  Once they
activated it changed to "success".

Setup in mythtv was easy.  I set it up as a hdhomerun, and it even detected
the individual tuners (did not have to put in the IPs manually).  Nice.  I
changed the simultaneous recordings to 1 per tuner (is that right?).  I then
tried "watch tv" - and it worked!!!!  I've also tried recording a few short
tests, and those work too.  Amazing!!!

I have other small issues to figure out now, like channel lineups (I'm using
mc2xml), but for now it's working and I'm very happy.