[mythtv-users] Is the Nova-T-500 IR Receiver "generic"

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 09:00:14 UTC 2011

On 29 October 2011 08:39, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Think I am confusing myself a bit, trying to setup my remote to work with
> mythtv.  Before I start trying to diagnose things that might be hardware
> limitations, I thought I had best ask.
>
> I have a Nova-T-500 dual tuner, which comes with an IR receiver.  Are these
> type of receivers, i.e, ones that come with a card, "generic" in that they
> see any remote IR codes, or are they "fixed", in that they only work with
> the Nova remote?

In my experience the on-card Hauppauge IR receivers have always been
RC-5 protocol based (based on my use of the Nova-T and Nova-T 500
cards, and consulting the lirc.org remote control configs [1]), and as
such you would need to configure your Harmony (or another learning
remote) to use an RC-5 based command set.

The Microsoft MCE remotes are RC-6 based (which is unlikely to work
with a Hauppauge card), but I've not had the pleasure of configuring
one with a third-party IR receiver (I bought mine with a USB IR
receiver which "just works").

Cheers,
Nick