[mythtv-users] Fanart is not displayed when containing special characters

Benedikt Eger mail at benedikteger.de
Thu Oct 27 07:39:23 UTC 2011

2011/10/24 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> On 10/24/2011 06:52 AM, Benedikt Eger wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I noticed that fanart for recordings is not displayed when the title
>> contains special characters (german umlauts to be precise). If I have
>> a title like "Immer Ärger mit Harry" then Jamu creates the fanart-file
>> correctly in the fanart-directory but it is not displayed in mythfrontend.
>> I found the following
>> ticket http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8319 (Fanart is not
>> displayed with recording that contains non-english characters in
>> title) which only states that this might be "another locale setting
>> issue".
>> Did anyone experience similar problems and knows how to solve them? Or
>> do you have any hints how I can solve this myself (e.g. what could be
>> meant by "locale setting issue")?
>> I'm running Mythtv 0.23 on Mythbuntu 10.10.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/439348#439348
> Mike

Hi Mike,
thank you for the hint.

I changed the /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf according to the
information on the page
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration to the

# MythTV Backend service

description     "MythTV Backend"
author          "Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo)
stop on starting shutdown

#expect fork

        ulimit -c unlimited     # Note 1.
        . /etc/default/locale   # Note 2.
        export LANG
        export LC_ALL=$LANG
        ARGS="--logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user $USER"
        test -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend && .
/etc/default/mythtv-backend || true
        /usr/bin/mythbackend $ARGS $EXTRA_ARGS
end script

Now loading the fanart-images works just fine.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list