[mythtv-users] database connection just stopped working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Oct 18 14:01:49 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 11:16 PM, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org wrote:
> Hi all.  Used to lurk (and sometimes post) here lots back when first
> getting set up, but haven't been back for a while because it "just plain
> worked" (TM) and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
>
 >snip>
> I've gone through all the database troubleshoots, and it seems things
> work fine.  For example:
>
> user at mythtv:~$ mysql -u mythtv -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 1035
> Server version: 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.10 (Ubuntu)
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
> statement.
>
> mysql>

<snip>

> 2011-10-16 22:19:38.140 Unable to connect to database!
> 2011-10-16 22:19:38.140 Driver error was [1/1045]:
> QMYSQL: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

That points exactly to the problem. You probably originally set things
up with a hostname ("mythbox") and that has changed.
On a Fedora setup, the hostname is set in /etc/sysconfig/network. Check
for the equivalent in your setup (I think the *buntu distros place it
elsewhere). Fix to the proper hostname if in error.

If you use 'localhost' then you MUST have an /etc/hosts file with the
127.0.0.1 localhost line.

I suggest that you make your /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt file the
'master' and make all of the *others* into symlinks to it.

While doing that, check that your /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml file
names the correct hostname.

Finally go into the mysql console as root (ie 'mysql -u root -p'), then
'use mysql;' and
'select host,user,password from user;'

This will list the known user at host combinations known to mysql. Update
as needed. If your setup is like mine, you will see host entries for
localhost, the full hostname, and the actual IP address of the box.
Properly, you only need to have the full hostname.

I suspect that your hostname setting went away, or the re-install
removed the localhost line from your hosts file.

HTH
Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury