[mythtv-users] Laptop Recommendation

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:00:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Scott Pleavin <scott.pleavin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a new laptop that will run a mythtv front-end. All the
> laptops I've looked at so far use either an Intel 3000 or AMD Radeon
> video chip. Are these chips well supported?

I have a MacBook as well, with an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

In OSX I believe it uses the CPU as I don't think MythTV is able to
use any of the features of OSX that allow for GPU acceleration(?). It
works well enough using the CPU though.

When I boot into linux on it I'm able to use VDPAU though.

My one peeve, in case you were to look for one on the used market, is
that I got the model *just* before they enabled
audio-over-displayport, and thus audio over HDMI. So I have to run an
hdmi line AND a optical output (it has a mini-optical as part of the
headphone jack). The newer models all have that pin connected though
so it works, you just have to make sure the model you get has that
properly implemented. Monoprice sells the displayport to hdmi connect
for cheap.

I had a Lenovo with an NVidia chip which worked great for MythTV, but
the build quality on it was quite poor so beware the older
non-ThinkPad models. The newer Lenovo's (my housemate has one) seem to
be 100x better though, but I don't know if they still offer NVidia as
an option.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!