[mythtv-users] Mythvideo Metadata and Punctuation

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Sat Oct 1 09:15:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Daniel Osborne <myth at danielosborne.net> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to ignore punctuation in the metadata grabber?
> >
> > For example, I have my movies organized as such:
> > Star Trek - First Contact.mkv
> > Star Trek - Generations.mkv
> >
> > Now, the actual movie contains a colon (see:
> http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/199
> > ), but I obviously can't use that as a character (interoperability with
> > Windows).
> > So I replaced the colon with a hypen (technically a space and a hyphen).
> I have
> > another video app that fetches metadata (Plex), and it correctly
> recognizes it.
>
> This also interests me. I haven't found another solution than choosing a
> filename with exact matching to themoviedb.org (curiously with exactly
> the same movie). This is even worse if you have to use German umlauts. I
> don't have your Windows problem, but I'm always unhappy about having
> these unusual characters or spaces in filenames because of the resulting
> problems of handling such files in a terminal.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

For now, since my collection is small, I've just renamed the problematic
files.
Example: "Star Trek Generations.mkv"

This seems to work most of the time (exception below), since colons seem to
be ignored even from TMDB.

A little off topic though, I'd also like it to be able to take the year out
of the filename (if any), and use that to match a specific remake. For
example:
"Alice in Wonderland (2010)"
That doesn't autograb metadata. I still have to select it from a list in the
mythvideo browser. Unfortunately that list doesn't show the year either (or
even subtitle, if applicable), so I have to guess. Although it's usually the
first hit.

Supplying the year with the title seems to always find the exact match on
TMDB (eg. "Star Wars 1999" matches "Phantom Menace").
That's more of a wish-list item for me though.

I haven't encountered unicode characters to this point, but I didn't realize
that was an issue too.

Daniel