[mythtv-users] No sound after channel change with Pinnacle PCTV USB2 tuner

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Nov 23 03:07:05 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 20:36, José Silva wrote:
> To make it clearer, if someone told me: "mythtv doesn't work with analog
> tuners that don't have an encoder chip" (as tvheadend does), then I
> would happily trash my tuner, or save it for tvtime.
>
> But this is not the case, mythtv does work with my tuner, but only once
> each time. And that's what I asked for help to solve, that is my question.

MythTV does support framegrabber, but framegrabbers are designed to be
dirt cheap for direct playback only.  MythTV can use them, and some
people still do.  The problem is that there is going to be some amount
of manual configuration, and there are hundreds of devices using dozens
of different chipsets, all with varying degrees of support and decay.
Should you get into trouble, there are only going to be a handful of
people who are still experienced with these devices, and still an active
member of the community, that you could go to for help.

On the other hand, the IVTV cards require little to no configuration.
More so, they are a single, well supported, and well tread interface.
You can continue to try to get that analog tuner working, and you may
eventually be successful.  Most people just consider it easier to use
hardware known to work well.