[mythtv-users] problem starting LiveTV sometimes because of sometimes cablecard copy protection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 20 13:28:00 UTC 2011

On 11/20/2011 07:36 AM, Khanh Tran wrote:
> I'm running an HD HomeRun Prime and this morning I couldn't start
> LiveTV.  The HRHR Prime tuner status showed:
>
> Virtual Channel	705 FOXD
> Frequency	705.000 MHz
> Program Number	705
> Authorization	unspecified
> CCI Protection	none
> CGMS Protection	protected-aps
> Modulation Lock	qam256
> PCR Lock	locked
> Signal Strength	100% (16.4 dBmV)
> Signal Quality	97% (34.6 dB)
> Symbol Quality	100%
> Streaming Rate	none
> Resource Lock	none
>
> Since CGMS protection existed, I'm assuming that's why I couldn't
> start LiveTV, but once that show was over, the CGMS Protection went
> off and I was able to start LiveTV.  I understand I wouldn't have been
> able to watch that show, but is there anyway to get around manually
> changing the start channel in the database so that I could at least
> choose another channel?

The approved solution is to use mythtv-setup to change the starting
channel.  Ideally, MythTV would allow you change the channel
interactively when the starting channel is locked, though, the same way
it allows if you try to start Live TV, but it's unable to get a lock on
the starting channel.  Patches welcome.

Mike