[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

steve networks1 at cox.net
Sat Nov 19 19:45:21 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 8:46 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 08:33 PM, networks1 at cox.net wrote:
>> ---- Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>   wrote:
>> =============
>> On 13/11/11 23:11, networks1 at cox.net wrote:
>>> 2011-11-13 15:56:57.654 Already running as 'root'
>> This is probably not a good idea. It might not be the problem you are attempting
>> to solve, but it's almost certain to introduce others.
>> For example, any recordings you might make like this could have owner root,
>> group root. When you finally get your system fixed, you might not be able to
>> read these any more.
>> Both your back end and your front end should /probably/ be running as user 'mythtv'.
>   >  Right.  I must have accidentally been logged in as su when I
>   >  installed it.  Not sure how to fix this, except to un/reinstall.
>   >  Maybe that would be a good idea anyway given that everything is so
>   >  screwed up.
> Mythbackend runs as 'root' under Fedora and all recordings are root:root
> with -rw-r--r-- permissions. (The .png files are -rw-rw-rw-).
> You should not need to re-install. This looks more like a mysql access
> problem.
> Did you perchance change the name of your computer when you upgraded to
> Fedora 15? The error printout in your original message shows a
> 'localhost value' of 'mythtv.mythtv'. This is weird. Fix your
> /etc/sysconfig/network file to add a
> "HOSTNAME='my-mythbox-computer-name'" line. Fix your /etc/hosts file to
> have a '       localhost.localdomain   localhost' line.

I named the host mythtv.mythtv, which is what I had named the old setup 
(I think).  That's what it says in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Should I 
name it something else? There is the stated line in /etc/hosts for localhost

> Do you have multiple (differing) copies of config.xml and mysql.txt
> littering your file space? It looks like you are using /etc/mythtv for
> these, in which case any others should be symlinks to that folder.
> Does a 'mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg' get you to the 'mysql>'
> prompt?
> There are at least 2 threads in the last 6 weeks exploring the deduction
> process for fixing failed mysql access.
> Your config.xml file is munged. Looks like the opening '<' is missing.
> It should look like:
> [snip]

I do indeed.  Not sure how they got there.  Not by anything I did on 
purpose.  They are in /etc/mythtv, /root/.mythtv and 
/home/mythtv/.mythtv  All the config.xml look like you specify, except 
the one in /etc/mythtv which just has a comment "to be filled in by 
setup program."  So there's a problem I guess; question is, why is setup 
not writing it? Should I set up symlinks in /etc/mythtv to one of the 
other dirs?  As I said I didn't so any of this and I'm not sure why if 
symlinks are needed the install didn't create them

I have run the setup program, all the way through as you suggest, 
however as I said in an earlier post there is something weird going on 
with that and frontend where there are getting bogged down.  For setup 
that means when I get done with a section it sometimes does not always 
go back out to the main menu.  In particular, on input setup after I 
finish the section and escape to get back to the main menu, it goes to a 
blank beige screen, sits there for a while, then writes the time in a 
small white box at the lower right and puts empty small white box at the 
center top of the screen.  This is not normal judging by past setups.  
It sits there with no disk activity that I can tell.  After a while I 
get tired of waiting and hit escape to get back to the menu.  Sometimes 
it does that and sometimes it exits out completely.  Maybe this is why 
the input setup is not getting written.

I can connect the mysql/mythconverg using the mysql command line 
client.  I opened up the settings table and had a look.  Some relevant 
entries are:

BackendServerIP    mythtv
BackendServerPort    6543    mythtv
BackendStatusPort    6544    mythtv
SecurityPin    0000    mythtv

I also deleted the ICEauthority per Mike's suggestion.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions.  This is frustrating, because I 
have gotten MythTV working on two other setups in the past and strange 
things are happening that AFAIK I am not causing.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list