[mythtv-users] Video storage group settings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 18 17:54:11 UTC 2011

On 11/18/2011 05:53 AM, Blaine Price wrote:
> I had some failing hardware so I moved my Mythbuntu 11.10 system from
> one machine to another. I thought I had done everything correctly:
> 1. I backed up the database settings by following the instructions here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
> 2. I copied the recordings and videos directories from
> (/var/lib/mythtv/recordings and /var/lib/mythtv/videos) to a temporary
> drive
>
> 3. I rebuilt the new Mythbuntu 11.10 machine, stopped it, restored the
> database, copied the recordings and videos directories back, and
> restarted the backend.  I had to change the IP address in the process
> but I reset it in the General settings on both the frontend and
> backend.
>
> The recordings all came back on the new machine but the videos did
> not: I could see the list of old videos in the front end (with no
> coverart) but myth couldn't find them. I noticed there were no storage
> groups set on the new machine so I created a storage group for videos
> and images and pointed them back at /var/lib/videos but this didn't
> work.
>
> Can someone tell me how I can get myth to see the videos in this path?

Did you change the host name or use the exact same host name as before?
Also, the only time I've ever heard of scanning in MythVideo to cause it
to "hang" is when there's a symlink loop that makes an infinite
filesystem.  (However, if you have configured a MythVideo host that no
longer exists, it will "hang" while it waits for a timeout when trying
to contact that host to do its scan--though the timeout isn't that long.)

Mike