[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Nov 17 21:17:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> The "background garbage collection" worries me a bit, because the drive
> firmware has no idea when I'm about to disconnect power or hit the
> system reset button.  But there's nothing to be done about it,
> as even the drives with TRIM support still do the background stuff.

I don't think that would be anything to worry about. Because of the
wear leveling, your data isn't actually erased and then rewritten.
It's copied to a new blank block, internal pointers are updated to
point to the new block, then the old block is erased and flagged as
empty. If the process is interrupted, you'll just have an extra used
block that will need to be erased. In addition, many of the newer SSDs
include capacitors to ensure they'll have enough power to complete any
outstanding operations and flush the internal cache.

--
Ron Frazier