[mythtv-users] UK recording Freeview HD while watching an SD program

Simon Jones sijones2010 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:43:22 UTC 2011

On 15 November 2011 10:56, Paul <dazzle at edazzle.net> wrote:
> If I am watching an SD recording and recording an HD show at the same time
> when I come to watch the HD recording the video is corrupt (lots of
> artifacts and frames bleeding into each other) until after the point I
> finished watching the SD recording.
>
> I was wondering if it was either the hard drive not being able to cope with
> the read/writes needed for an HD recording and an SD playback (SD recording
> while watching either HD or SD recording is fine) or if it is the file
> system I am using?
>
> My system is an ASUS AT3N7A-I (Atom 330 dual-core with NVidia ION), 4GB RAM
> (512MB used for video),  a Seagate 500GB MomentusXT Hybrid (Data Transfer:
> 300MBps / Spindle: 7200 rpm / Buffer Size: 32MB), I am running the system
> and recordings on the same drive but two partitions both formatted to ext4
> and I am using a minimal install of Ubuntu 11.10, and the HD / SD recordings
> are coming through a PCTV nanoStick T2 290e.

I wouldn't say the hard disk or format was an issue, I record 3 HD
stream while watching another one from a WD Green drive and have no
issues at all.

Am wondering if the atom processor is a little under powered for what
your doing tho, or it's not being pushed up to max performance by the
governor and then basically the system is being strangled.

Can you ssh in and run top to see what your processor and memory usage is?