[mythtv-users] recommendation for new combined frontend+backend?

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at biggeeks.org
Sat Nov 5 17:33:54 UTC 2011

On 11/5/11 10:20 AM, Frank Hartmann wrote:

<snip>
> CPU and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 chipset.
>
> Nick, many thanks! I have bought encouraged by your test a HP N40L
> MicroServer (the one with 1.5GHZ) and yesterday it arrived here.
>
> I have installed amd64 debian testing and prebuild mythtv packages from
> Christian Marillats repository.
>
> Playback of 720p50 recorded from ARD is 167% load (based on top,
> probably max=200%) using vlc.
>
> Playback of normal PAL stream using mythfrontend is around 25%.
>
> This looks very promising! If I can find Nvidia Cards suggested by
> Michael and a fitting DVB-S2 card (Tim) I am ready to go!
>
> The problem here is that the Microserver is really 'mini' and the 2 PCIe
> slots are 'low-profile' (==small) and have other constrainsts which I do
> know how to handle excatly:
>
> * 1st PCIe - x16 - 25W max # this seems to be for the GPU

These are US vendor links, if your outside of the US, you can use this
as ideas for looking at local vendors.

25W max may be problematic for a 520 based card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125400

You won't get single slot and passive cooling, so your best bet is to
look for a good active cooling based card.

A GT 220 can come in under 25W max

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134090

> * 2st PCIe - x1 # so this for DVB-S2
>
> The first passive graphic card I investigated was a GT520 which seemed
> to fit quite well (was relativly cheap) but at second glance the thing
> occupied both PCIe slots (one exclusivly used for cooler space and
> airflow).
>

> Other impressions:
>
> * I like the machine. It really feels well-made!
>
> * it is a bit noiser than hoped. As loud as my old setup, but using
> lower freqs.
>
> * wake-on-lan works without any configuration of the N40L
>
> * I did not find a bios timer to start the machine (at 20.00h for
> recording a show)

Setup a timer for WOL if you need it to be timed.