[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth can't connect to MySQL

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 4 00:53:19 UTC 2011

On 11/03/2011 05:58 PM, Damian wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 23:47, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> This came up about a week ago and I set out a checklist of steps in
>>> response to a similar problem. Go to gossamer-threads and search using
>>> 'Newbury' and 'mysql' to find the thread.
>>> On my iPhone ATM.
>>> Geoff
>> OK, This thread:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494571
>> Geoff
> Hi Geoff,
> Thanks for replying.
> The permission of my /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file is still set to 'mythtv'.
> Would posting the contents of it be useful? The top line says:
> DBHostName=

I presume that is the correct IP address of your mythbox.

> Here's the content of my 'hosts' file:
> localhost.localdomain localhost
> ::1 MythBox localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
> MythBox

If you use a local name for your box, it should be listed in hosts *by
the IP address*.	MythBox

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
> There's no mention of '' in there, but the properties say
> that the file hasn't been modified since May, so I assume that's not the
> problem.
> /home/.mythtv/config.xml has this in there:
> <DBHostName></DBHostName>
> I still can't log into phpmyadmin, so either mysql isn't running ("sudo
> service mysql status" seems to say that it is), or my passwords have got
> messedup/changed/deleted somehow. Why on earth should that happen with
> an upgrade??
> I'm hoping that the database is all still there and fine and I just need
> to crack logging into the thing.
> What steps should I take from here?

Start with 'mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg'

If you end up with the "mysql >" prompt then it is NOT mysql's fault, it
is your myth setup. Go to A

If you don't then your mysql setup is munged. You will get a message
like 'login not allowed for user mythtv at whereever'. Go to B

First, run ifconfig and confirm that *IS* your correct IP
Then I suggest that you *very* carefully check your
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt and config.xml files, so that the correct
IP, user and password are listed.

I strongly suggest that you then search for each and every other copy of
those files and replace them with symlinks. Having different versions of
these is *really* messy.
(Use 'find -L . -type f -iname mysql.txt' from /etc/ and /home and /root)
service restart network
service restart mysqld
Check that the IP address and computer name are properly set on the
first two pages, and in the General pages.

This could happen if your box gets a new IP address. You really do want
to have your router serve up a static address. Most routers allow you to
tie the MAC address to an IP address. From your symptoms I suspect that
this could have been what happened.

Mysql does not know who your user is. Create a file, mc.sql containing:

GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost

If your box is EVER going to be more than a single BE/FE setup you MUST
substitute your mythboxname for localhost in the above.

You need to know your root *mysql* password, if one was set.
Run 'mysql -u root -p < mc.sql'
and enter the password. The root mysql user has the privilege levels to
create the mythtv user.

Since you DID have a working setup, I doubt that this is the cause.
As set out in the prior thread, you can see which users mysql 'knows'
about by signing into mysql as root user, then:
mysql > use mysql;
mysql > select host,user,password from user;

This lists all the known users on which hosts, and whether there is a

Restart the network and mysqld.