[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth can't connect to MySQL

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 21:58:38 UTC 2011

On 01/11/2011 23:47, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 07:37 PM, Newbury wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-11-01, at 19:26, Damian<myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Any more ideas on this?
>>>
>>> Being unable to log into phpmyadmin makes me think that passwords have
>>> changed during the upgrade somehow!?!
>>>
>>> I've just done the following to confirm the status of things:
>>>
>>> $ sudo service mysql status
>>> mysql start/running
>>>
>>> $ sudo service mythtv-backend status
>>> mythtv-backend stop/waiting
>>>

>>> It's a long time since I've had scary mysql problems and needed my hand
>>> holding though it, but I seem to be there again for some reason.
>>>

>> This came up about a week ago and I set out a checklist of steps in
>> response to a similar problem. Go to gossamer-threads and search using
>> 'Newbury' and 'mysql' to find the thread.
>>
>> On my iPhone ATM.
>>
>> Geoff
>
> OK, This thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494571
>
> Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for replying.

The permission of my /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file is still set to 'mythtv'.

Would posting the contents of it be useful? The top line says:
DBHostName=192.168.0.2

Here's the content of my 'hosts' file:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
::1	MythBox	localhost6.localdomain6	localhost6
127.0.1.1	MythBox

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

There's no mention of '192.168.0.2' in there, but the properties say
that the file hasn't been modified since May, so I assume that's not the
problem.

/home/.mythtv/config.xml has this in there:
<DBHostName>192.168.0.2</DBHostName>

I still can't log into phpmyadmin, so either mysql isn't running ("sudo
service mysql status" seems to say that it is), or my passwords have got
messedup/changed/deleted somehow. Why on earth should that happen with
an upgrade??

I'm hoping that the database is all still there and fine and I just need
to crack logging into the thing.

What steps should I take from here?

Cheers
Damian