[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Nov 3 16:57:39 UTC 2011

On 11/3/11 12:50 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>
>> On the bright side, Delete all capture cards and then re-creating
>> capture cards and re-connecting inputs takes all of 2 minutes, even at a
>> slow pace.  With my 6 cards on 2 backend hosts and differing capture
>> card (Live TV) and input (recording) orders, it takes me 30sec to delete
>> and re-configure.  It actually takes me more time to shut down the
>> system so I can run mythtv-setup than it takes to reconfigure it.
>>
>> Oh, and with Delete all capture cards, your channels are not affected,
>> so you won't have to rescan or anything.
>>
> For you, I don't doubt that it can be done in 30 seconds, but I wish
> you would understand that 2 minutes is not enough time for the average
> mythtv administrator.  There's potentially a lot of stuff to remember
> that is destroyed by "Delete all capture cards" that needs to be set
> up again.  Was the firewire tuner using broadcast or point to point
> the last time I set it up?  What data rate?  What was the exact path
> to the channel change script used for ir blasting for the PVR150?
> It's using the composite input, right?  Or was that S-video?  Is the
> PVR150 using the same set top box as firewire?  I better remember to
> put them in the same input group again.  Where was the control for
> that, again?  Etc., etc.. It really can be a lot trickier than you
> make it out to be for those of us that do it rarely.

Not that it speeds up the process of reassigning cards/inputs, but I
have a suggestion. Assign each input a unique name that lists everything
about it. For instance, I have something like this for my two Dish
Network receivers:

   Dish 1 (bottom, PVR250, /dev/video0)

   Dish 2 (top, PVR350, /dev/video1)

This helps greatly when trying to debug things later on. ("I'm not
getting any audio. So, which cable is it? Do I get audio if I pipe the
dev through mplayer?")