[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Nov 3 16:50:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On the bright side, Delete all capture cards and then re-creating
> capture cards and re-connecting inputs takes all of 2 minutes, even at a
> slow pace.  With my 6 cards on 2 backend hosts and differing capture
> card (Live TV) and input (recording) orders, it takes me 30sec to delete
> and re-configure.  It actually takes me more time to shut down the
> system so I can run mythtv-setup than it takes to reconfigure it.
>
> Oh, and with Delete all capture cards, your channels are not affected,
> so you won't have to rescan or anything.

For you, I don't doubt that it can be done in 30 seconds, but I wish
you would understand that 2 minutes is not enough time for the average
mythtv administrator.  There's potentially a lot of stuff to remember
that is destroyed by "Delete all capture cards" that needs to be set
up again.  Was the firewire tuner using broadcast or point to point
the last time I set it up?  What data rate?  What was the exact path
to the channel change script used for ir blasting for the PVR150?
It's using the composite input, right?  Or was that S-video?  Is the
PVR150 using the same set top box as firewire?  I better remember to
put them in the same input group again.  Where was the control for
that, again?  Etc., etc.. It really can be a lot trickier than you
make it out to be for those of us that do it rarely.

Eric