[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 3 16:27:37 UTC 2011

On 11/3/2011 12:20, Roger H wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/03/2011 10:29 AM, Scott and Nicole Harris wrote:
>     > My tuners were entered as one tuner each, then I went back in
>     afterwards to add the virtual tuners to get them "staggered".
>
>     This completely breaks MythTV.  No one should *EVER* do this.  Even if
>     your plan is to use the "break MythTV recordings by prioritizing
>     Live TV
>     over recordings" approach, this is not how it's done.
>

> Nice to know.  I inadvertently did this myself.
>
> The MythTV wiki for the HVR-1600
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600#Backend_Setup) says to,
> "Change Max recordings to 1, since this card can only record one thing
> at a time." so I did this at first since I didn't know any better at
> the time.  I also did this for my HVR-950Q.  Later, when I realized
> that this was wrong, I changed them both back to 2.
>
> Should I "delete" both tuners and add them back in?

When priorities are the same, MythTV will use tuners sequentially for
recording, in the order they were added to the database.  That includes
both physical and virtual tuners.  It does not intelligently schedule on
virtual tuners already in the same multiplex.

As it goes through the list of tuners, if it finds a virtual tuner
already recording something else on the same multiplex, it will use it.
If it finds a completely free tuner, it will use that, even if you
already have another physical tuner on the same multiplex.  That means
for recording, you want to add your tuners with every virtual tuner you
expect to possibly use from the start.  If you wish to add additional
virtual tuners later, you must delete them, and create them from
scratch. Do note that your channel lineups and guide data are stored
independently from your tuners, and even if you have to configure custom
timeouts, this process should not take more than a couple minutes.